Packing for a trip can be exciting, but unpacking is always depressing.
Whenever I get ready to pack for a trip I grab my iPhone. In my “notes” I have a list of all my packing essentials. I made this list a long time ago so that I wouldn’t forget anything. It has made packing so much easier. Now I know this list will look different for everybody. I have my packing list below. So you can use it as a tool for how to pack for a trip.
How To Pack For A Trip
Rules of Thumb
- Pack a laundry bag so you can pack your dirty laundry in it.
- If you don’t have a laundry bag, you can use a plastic garbage bag or small grocery bag. Sometimes, if you check in your hotel closet they have plastic bags for you to put your dry cleaning. I’ll grab that and use it instead.
- Plan a outfit for each day.
- That way you don’t over pack.
- Use a separate bag for your shoes and or section off your shoes in your suitcase.
- Pack one outfit in your carry on.
- In case you lose your luggage.
- Pack Toiletries last.
- As you are getting ready to leave, you usually end up using some of your toiletries. Pack them last so you can do a once over before you leave and not forget anything.
- Charge Electronics
- Charge your electronics the night before. So you are not scrambling to charge them last minute. Or forced to sit next to an outlet while at the airport.
- Hair tie
- Cell phone
- Hand sanitizer
- Hand lotion
- Lip balm
- Cell Phone
- Cell Phone Charger
- Computer Charger
- External hard drive
- Portable Charger (Power Bank)
- Bathing Suit
- Active Wear
- Tooth Paste
- Tooth Brush
- Face Wash
- Body Wash
- Lotion (Carry On)
- Feminine Products
- Deodorant (Carry On)
- Perfume (Carry On)
- Contacts & Glasses
- Contact Case & Contact Solution
- Hair Brush
- Hair Ties
- Shampoo & Conditioner
- Make Up
- Nail Clippers
As far as what carry ons, luggage, and suitcases I use. It depends on where I am going. I usually carry my purse as a personal item and use a backpack for my carry on. If you want to know more about the luggage that I carry with me when I travel. Then check out my Dakine Luggage Review.
I hope you enjoyed reading this blog post and that you found this packing list helpful. If you have any questions feel free to comment down below.
Do you have any tips and tricks for when you pack for a trip?
For more helpful travel advice, see these other posts